Sunday, September 18, 2011

Goodwood Revival Sights and Sounds

With all the press and hype I have always wanted to go to the Revival at Goodwood and when my boss told me that he had tickets for the Sunday but had to catch a flight to Switzerland that day, I jumped right in and nabbed them off him in a trice.

Of course it was an expensive decision, the cost of the tickets being only the tip of the iceberg, of course Lynne needed a new frock, a petticoat, shoes, handbag, gloves, the list goes on, even to the point of having to rush into Petworth the evening before, to get stockings - do you know how much stocking cost in Petworth, and the weren't even antique!

Sunday morning dawned with the sun shining, we donned our attire, jumpped into the Rangie and off we went.  I want to thank my good friend who lent me his GRRC badge for the car, that meant we got into the members car park (I didn't realise how useful that would be until later in the day).

The Revival was everything I had expected it to be, the sights, sounds and smells - perfection, we wandered around taking it all in, we did want to meet up with a friend, Kirsty, but whenever we tried to get to the Lavant straights, where she was in the GRRC members area, we were thwarted by the Marshals, hey ho.

We stopped for lunch in the Butlins Ballroom, what an experience that was, a band was playing blues and swing, then a set of dancers joined the floor, the first lady had the perfect dress for jive (from my point of view), lovely stockings, suspenders and a thong, it was a shame I didn't have the camera handy at that point.

Another walk round after lunch, then the heavens opened, just a shower? No - full torrent, we were soaked within a couple of minutes, now you know why it was good to be parked in the members car park.  So it was a wet end to a brilliant day, disappointed... Nah, this has to be done again.

Well done to Goodwood, for all the effort they had put in to making this a brilliant event, well done to all those people who had dressed the part, if Lynne is anything to go by, at a fair cost... and well done to the drivers, pit crews, marshals etc. for making a day I will be talking about for weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment